EarthCARE Discussion Forum

Forum Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

 All Forums
 EarthCARE Central
 Teacher Resource Questions/Ideas
 FAQs for quizzes/tips from Umbra at Grist

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D]
Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(]

 
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rmb Posted - 10/28/2005 : 07:33:19

Just the FAQs
On repetitive quest syndrome
By Umbra Fisk
26 Oct 2005


Got questions about the environment? Ask Umbra.

Dearest, dearest readers,

The environmental movement is made possible by common concerns between all people. Even you unique, special individuals (my dearest readers) share similar concerns about your impact on the natural environment. And I am here to address these concerns. I am here for you. However. As a group, you unique persons sometimes send me some pretty darn repetitive questions, and I can't keep answering them -- my editor won't accept it, and the state of shopping-bag science is not rapidly shifting.

So with great joy and anticipation that we can soothe your minds -- and also have a tremendous impact on environmental progress -- we present "Just the Favorite Ask-Umbra Queries." Below, you will find the questions I see most often, presented in an easy-to-find format using only the latest internet hotlink technology. Not only is this FAQ page handy, I also hope it will push you, my dearest readers, to New Inquisitorial Heights. If I have already answered your query (and don't forget to search the archives), it is your duty to develop a new one, which will push us all to deeply examine our lives, our choices, our daily grind.

Then again, if you make it too hard, I won't be able to find an answer. Bit of a bind there. But I'm willing to take the risk.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bravely,
Umbra


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Q1:Should I use paper or plastic bags at the grocery store?

A1:Neither one is better. Best choice: bring your own cloth bag.


Q2: Should I dry my hands with paper towels or the electric blow dryer?

A2: Use the dryer if you can't drip dry.


Q3:Should I wash my dishes by hand or use the dishwasher?

A3: If you and your dishwasher are efficient, by all means bypass the sink.


Q4: Is it better to leave (lights, cars, computers) on when I'm not using them, or turn them off and restart them?

A4: Restart! Whether you're driving, defeating darkness, or doing work, it takes more energy to keep your power-suckers running than it does to turn them off and on.


Q5: My old (car, refrigerator, washing machine) isn't energy efficient. Is it worse to keep using it, or to toss it and buy a new one?

A5: In general, it's better to upgrade (whether washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, or car) -- but make sure your old machine is reused or recycled if possible.


Q6: Should I use cotton or disposable diapers?

A6: I know you worry, parents, but honestly, it's a wash. Here's an idea: go diaperless!


Q7: Is it better to buy organic food from far away, or non-organic food grown locally?

A7: Ideally, buy food that is both organic and local -- but if you have to choose, local is the way to go.


Q8: I want to follow your recommendation and buy compact fluorescent lightbulbs, but I've discovered they contain mercury. What should I do?

A8: Buy them anyway -- the small amount of mercury (less than in a watch battery) can be handled by a hazardous-waste facility.


Q9: Which plastics are OK?

A9: We don't like plastic, in general. But just make sure you avoid #3.


Q10: Which is better: Diesel? Biodiesel? Straight vegetable oil? Hybrid?

A10: They're all bad. Stop driving!But while you work toward that goal, here are thoughts on some of your quandaries: diesel vs. regular gasoline; converting to biodiesel; converting to veggie oil; biodiesel vs. veggie oil; and hybrids vs. veggie oil.


Q11: What's the one thing I can do to help the environment?

A11: Watch out, helping the environment becomes addictive. There's no one answer, but try to limit your consumption and keep the big picture in mind.


Yours is to wonder why, hers is to answer (or try). Please send Umbra any nagging question pertaining to the environment.

The claims made in this column may not reflect the views of this magazine. Neither the magazine nor the author guarantees that any advice contained in this column is wise or safe. Please use this column at your own risk.
- - - - - - - - - -

Umbra Fisk is Grist Research Associate II, Hardcover and Periodicals Unit, floors 2B-4B.

EarthCARE Discussion Forum © 2004 Better Planet Productions Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.04